Footpaths and Public Rights of Way

As the weather continues to improve, more and more of us will be out and about on footpaths in the parish. There are important considerations for both walkers and owners of land that contain public rights of way (PRoW). In summary:

For users of PRoWs

  • Dogs must always be under control and on a lead on footpaths. They should not be allowed to roam freely in fields or onto property. And of course, always clean up after your dog.
  • Bridleways can be used by walkers, horse riders and bicyclists, with bicyclists expected to give way to walkers and horse riders.
  • You are not allowed to disturb or harm any wildlife found on a public right of way.
  • You should not drop or leave litter on a public right of way.
  • You should not trepass on neighbouring lands to public rights of way. At all times keep to the legal limits!!
  • There are also rules regarding byways and green lanes which can be found online or by clicking the links below.

For landowners

  • Footpaths must not be ploughed or sown with anything other than grass, with a minimum of 1 metre width maintained for public access.
  • Bulls over 10 months old must not be left in a field with a PRoW
  • You cannot put up stiles or gates without the permission of your local authority.
  • You cannot put up misleading signs to prevent people from using a public right of way.
  • You are not allowed to harass, intimidate (e.g. placing a fierce dog on public right of way) or prevent members of the public from using a public right of way.
  • It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 to put up barbed wires, electric fences or exposed barb wire that prevents or obstructs a public right of way.

If everyone does their bit, we should all be able to enjoy the countryside in our parish.

Links to further information:

Environment Law

Wiltshire Council Countryside and Rights of Way Policy

The parish council may be able to help with contacting landowners if you have concerns with access to or condition of a PRoW in Minety, but any further action will be taken by Wiltshire Council:

For maintenance issues on rights of way and other highways please report online using My Wiltshire.


Telephone: 0300 456 0100